[TR] Headlight replacement

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Mar 1 12:10:00 MST 2012

In a message dated 3/1/2012 10:06:48 AM Central Standard Time,
agraham at execulink.com writes:
> A new wiring harness on my TR2 has required replacing the original Lucas
> P700 headlights &bulbs with something that will accept the more
> 'modern' three blade headlight connectors. Want something a bit better
> than the North American style sealed beam unit. I understand that the
> new Lucas Tripod replacements are very poor quality.
> Any advice on how to proceed? I understand many of the H4 conversions
> for 7" round lenses are pretty scarse - i.e. Cibe &Marchal.
> What have other listers used?
> Thanks for any help with this.

Here in the states we can buy what is called "Sealed Beam Halogen" bulbs
which externally look like the old style sealed beam headlights but contain a
small quartz bulb inside (quartz-halogen).  These bulbs use the same current
but put out more light.  And they cost about twice what a regular bulb
costs which is still cheap compared to the H4 or the tribar style lights.  And
they are readily available at the FLAPS or even your local hardware stores.

Dave