[TR] Subject: TR3/4 Rear wheel hub runout

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 12:40:36 MDT 2012

> Please check the hubs for cracks where the brake drum ID rests; these
> usually start from the grease bleed hole in that area; unless there was
> a  shunt.

Good point, Hardy, Thanks!  I already went over them with a 10x loupe, but I
will go back and double-check that area.  I don't know the history of these
hubs, but they appear to be in very good condition under the dirt and grime
from being in the shed for 35+ years.

> I do NOT recommend replacing the rear hub studs with OEM ones.

As far as I know, the fully threaded studs (which can be screwed in from the
back) are no longer made.  Do you know of a source?

Or do you recommend trying to convert to knurled studs?  (I tried that, many
years ago, without much success.  The hubs were so hard that they just cut
the knurls off the stud, rather than deforming around it.)

This is for my daily driver, not a race car (except maybe for a few turns on
the autocross track at TRfest).

-- Randall