[TR] Testing ignition coil: what am I doing wrong????

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 17 11:36:11 MDT 2012

> My TR7 HEI unit has a capacitor (condenser) on it.  I suppose
> it is possible
> that it is failing.  Do you know if the HEI system requires a
> condenser?

As far as I know, it does not.  According to the book, the condenser is only
for radio noise suppression.

> My old
> original voltage
> stabilizer failed, as did a transistor replacement!

IMO the original would not likely be affected by transients.  Internally it
is just a heater, and when the heater gets hot, it interrupts the power.
But the solid state version could have been.

On a side note, all of the instructions I've seen for electronic conversions
in an original VS box say nothing about bypass capacitors.  But I found that
mine would not regulate properly without them (likely indicating it was
oscillating at high frequency).

-- Randall