[TR] Testing ignition coil: what am I doing wrong????

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 09:29:55 MDT 2012

Randall,

I thin you hit the nail on the head.  I was not getting clean enough
switching.  I put a condenser across the coil terminals and used a spare set
of points to do the switching and I got a good spark from the 2 coils I
tested.

I put an ohmmeter on the 2 wire reluctor connector and got 800 ohms and it
did not seem to change as I wiggled the wire.

I did not check the resistance to engine ground.  I will have to check that.

Now to go back and check the presence of a spark on the same coil when
firing it from the HEI module.

My TR7 HEI unit has a capacitor (condenser) on it.  I suppose it is possible
that it is failing.  Do you know if the HEI system requires a condenser?  I
will continue to fiddle with the TR7 today.

I have had a coil fail once.  It was an old 1966 original to my TR4A.  It
may simply have failed from old age, but I suspect that it was killed by my
sparkplug wires.  I made the mistake of using modern carbon core wires with
the old original type of cap which spears the conductor.  With motion, I
think the connection of the spear to the carbon conductor became high
resistance or intermittent.  I think that this caused very high voltages to
build up in all the HT side.  I think the insulation broke down in the coil
due to these excessively high voltages.  I think that those same transients
got into my electrics and palyed havok there too.  My old original voltage
stabilizer failed, as did a transistor replacement!  I now use copper core
wires when I use the original type cap for show, and I use the MGB version
of the distributor cap with magnecore wires for actual driving.

I also have a Pertronics on the TR4A, but I am considering switching to
using a Boyer-Brandsen transistorized switching unit with points.  The
magnet hub of the Pertronics does not fit all that well, and causes the
rotor to not seat fully.

-Tony