[TR] Clutch Slave Return Spring

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Jul 28 09:15:17 MDT 2012

     I am having a rough time with clutch return springs. The old spring broke
when I was taking it off to rebuild the clutch slave. It broke "in the
spring". I ordered two new ones from Moss so I would have a spare. This
morning I went to put the new spring in and it broke at the 90 on the spring
straight part. I was holding it on the the long straight part at the 90 when
it happened. No problem, I thought - I have a spare. When putting the second
try on the little hook didn't get in the hole. I was trying to work/walk it in
with a screwdriver and then it broke as well. Time to order some more springs
and re-think things. So much for motoring about this weekend.
     Is there
something I am missing on installing the spring? Is there an easier way to do
it? I am holding the long straight part up to the 90 and stretching it out to
get it in. I have done it many times before without issue. The spring has
broke by itself a couple of times over the last 20 years.

     What the heck?
     TIA,

     Bill in Tehachapi