[TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 09:57:45 MDT 2012

> I guess I use the term "stereo" generically for anything that
> would be a sound system in a car :)

No worries, Brad, I wasn't trying to quibble about the word; just wanted to
be sure you understood what it was.  If it suits you, then that's fine.

I'm coming up on more or less the same decision myself; but leaning towards
what I did before, which was to mount a CD-MP3 player in place of the
glovebox.  Opening the glovebox door would provide full access to the front
panel, but generally I could just reach up behind the dash and do what I
wanted.  Not at all obvious it was there (so less concern about theft).
Since it had AM/FM/XM (although I never used the XM), I could tune into
local weather or news.  These days I suppose everyone does that with their
phone, but I don't (and I do occasionally travel where there is no cell
coverage).

But I mostly enjoy listening to audio books, especially on long trips.  It's
easy and cheap to burn them to CD in MP3 format (generally I get 3 books on
a $.10 CD) and then if the CD gets damaged, lost or stolen; I just burn
another one.

I didn't check the specs on the Pyle, but pretty much anything like that
should operate from your headphone output.  And of course you don't have to
run at 700 watts (or have speakers that will handle it) if you don't want
to.

-- Randall