[TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 09:24:53 MDT 2012

Randall,

I guess I use the term "stereo" generically for anything that would be a
sound system in a car :)  Kinda like how people use the terms skilsaw
instead of circular saw, crescent wrench instead of adjustable wrench.

In my spitfire I had a remote on the end of a wire and I just tucked it
down between the seat the the tunnel to keep it from flopping around.
 Having been in a roll over accedent a few years ago I'm not thrilled with
anything being loose inside the car.

The unit you listed from Amazon is interesting but I don't think I have
room enough for speakers for it :)   Also I don't know if it would work
from the speaker output of an iphone.

Brad

> Anyone out there ever use a stereo like this for their car?  If so any
> pros or cons.

I have not.  For one thing, that is not a "stereo", just an amplifier.  It
has to be wired to some sort of player to function.  Possibly you aren't
worried about having a device on the end of a wire roaming around loose
inside the cockpit, but I am very opposed to such things.

Other than that, I guess the concept and price is reasonable.  However, I'd
want to ask some pointed questions about what, exactly, that "50 watt"
rating means.  If that is 50 watts RMS 20Hz to 20kHz continuous with THD
below 0.1%; wonderful.  But if it is only 50 watts "peak", I think you'll be
unhappy.  Just saying "50 watts" is kind of like "fresh frozen fish", it
doesn't mean a thing.

Unless you really want 4 channels, you might shop around for a 2-channel
amp.  Some very brief poking around turned up a 700 watt x 2 Pyle for $60
(including shipping) @ Amazon.  Larger footprint, but about the same
thickness (should fit nicely above the gas tank).
http://goo.gl/KTSqx

Another thing to consider is where that power is coming from.  A stock TR4
generator only puts out about 250 watts, and most of that is needed for the
engine, headlights, etc.  Since audio amps are rarely more than 50%-60%
efficient, a real 50x4 output is going to require something on the order of
400 watts input power (like 30 amps).  If you are serious about playing
music loud enough to be heard over the wind noise, you'll need an alternator
conversion.

-- Randall