[TR] MP3 / IPOD hidden stereo

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:07:21 MDT 2012

Ken, thanks for the info.  See comments below:

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Ken Nachman <k_nachman at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brad - Lots of questions:
> 1) I have the speakers mounted in I think they are called the kidney pads
> under the dash and another pair in the back upholstered panel. When I bought
> the car it had some hideous white speakers some kid had installed. I
> replaced them with black generic 6" speakers from eBay. My interior is black
> so they are pretty much invisable. You should have seen the radio the DPO
> had installed - it had a purple display that you couldn't turn off -- it
> gave me a headache!

TR4s don't have the kidney pads.  I'll likely mount some up in the
foot wells.  Only problem for me is on the passenger side I have the
cruise control module mounted there which sort of limits mounting
possibilities.

You don't like purple?!  Can't say as I blame you :)

> 2) I installed the amp under the heater box above the transmission tunnel
> behind a stock radio that doesn't work. I have an antenna but have never
> used it.

That's where I'm considering installing something.  At one point I
thought about removing the heater all together but as I get older I
think having some warmth might not be so bad :)

I don't want to install an antenna or deal with a radio which is
another reason why an ipad, mp3, etc sounds appealing.

> 3) I have an aftermarket power plug (cigarette lighter) hidden under the
> dash connected to the accessory position on the ignition switch - remember
> my car is a '69 model with a plinth mounted ignition switch. I usually use
> it for the GPS on long(er) trips, but could connect the iPhone charger.

Here is an interesting gadget that would allow me to leave the iphone
in the glove box and eliminate any cords.  I plan on having both of my
power plugs tied to the ignition acc position as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=3#specification

Thanks,

Brad