[TR] 1972 Triumph TR6 clutch master cylinder update

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Wed Jan 18 15:37:38 MST 2012

I had written to the list a few months ago.  After replacement of the clutch master cylinder on my 1972 Triumph TR6, after being correctly bled, with the bar in the central hole as documented, the gear box would not go into gear.

After placing it in the top hole, everything was fine.  I drove it that way the rest of the summer.

I am aware that this clutch is on its last leg, it was in the car when purchased from the original owner over 6 years ago.  I really don't want to drop the cash to replace it until it is dead.

Some on the list stated that having the bar located in the top hole was just asking for trouble.

So, my fix and question.  I have purchased an adjustable push rod from TRF part number HP655.  My plan is to remove the existing bar, measure it, and adjust the new one to that length.  Then, after installation into the middle hole, use the screw adjustment to increase the throw until the gears shift correctly.

Two questions:
1.)   Anyone have any comment on this approach?
2.)  How does the bar go into the slave cylinder?  Does it just pull out and you push the new one in?  I have looked at the manual and see no exploded picture of the slave.

I have an old slave that was replaced so I can pull of the rubber front and look inside, but I figured the list would be easier.

Thanks for your time.

Craig H. Nicholls
72 Triumph TR6
Vienna, VA