[TR] Recommendation for an impact wrench

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 21:56:28 MST 2012

Hi List!
I want to hank all of you who replied I shall try something new for
me & respond to your replies on the list & all @ once.

90+% of the replies
stated that they only (or mostly) use this tool for disassembling things.
Which I can understand. But, so far I've gotten by in NEVER having to use one.
May be it's because my car came from S. Calif., & I've never stored it in a
place that rust might easily grow on it.

A good portion of you mentioned
that the most use it gets is when removing lug nuts, & one person stated that
"AT TIMES" he feels that they need "could use a good clout around the ears".
Again I can understand, but I still feel that using an extension on a wrench
or ratchet has meet my requirements very nicely. Also, I prefer this than a
impact wrench, because I personally feel that I would have less chance of
'Rounding off my nuts'. The main reason I prefer the extension over the impact
is because I can 'Feel my nuts' loosen. Therefore I feel like i have more
control over the situation.

One person stated that he likes the sound & he
has a tendency to feel more like on a 'crew team' of mechanics, as that in
racing.
YES! I can FULLY understand that & it does have a pleasant flavor
that I would like to taste. Let's face it, MOST of us are NOT professional
mechanics. This is a 'Hobby', & one nice thing is you make it what you want it
to be. Just like you can do anything to YOUR car (paint it neon paisley, with
neon flashing lights, IF you want).

Another person uses it for assembling ,
but will follow up with a torque wrench. I personally would rather use a
ratchet followed up with a torque wrench. Also, I'm use to working slow, so
the use of an impact or air wrench would be of little use to me ( it only will
give me more time to relax with a 'cup of coffee').

One person stated that
his use is ONLY to remove Lug Nuts off of a TRIUMPH, but on farm equipment
he'll use it MUCH more.
Yes, I feel that the use of an impact on industrial
or OLD farm equipment is a MUST & this is where the best use of the tool is
needed, that's why I think they made it for.

Some use electric & others use
air.
So I gather that there is a way to set the torque on them if needed.

personally feel that I will say to the 'old ways' of using manual labor over
the use of power, because it's less maintenance, cleaning, oiling, &
maintaining air compressor (which mine is not in use now). So all my air tools
aren't being used until I can get around to fixing it.
Thanks again for your
input, because inquiring mines (at least this one does) want to know.
-Cosmo
Kramer