[TR] Recommendation for an impact wrench

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 21:30:37 MST 2012

The shop I go to for my 72 TR6 is very nice in that they hand torque the lug nuts to specifications.  All I did was ask and they said no problem.

Craig
Vienna, VA

On 01/07/12, Randall<TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> After inspection or tire shop visit on my everyday driver I
> need an impact
> wrench if I need to remove a wheel.
> They all use impact wrenches to put the wheels on.

If they are not using a torque limiter to limit torque to manufacturer
specs, then you need to either find another shop, or sue them. Overtorquing
the lug nuts on a modern car is a serious problem, possibly leading to
broken studs, warped rotors, and cracked wheels.

OTOH, the specified torque is usually higher than it used to be. My Buick
wagon takes 100 ftlb, which is tough (tho not impossible) to remove with the
jack handle.

-- Randall

** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html