[TR] Sluggish Overdrive take-up

Mack, Michael (Rochester) Michael.Mack at redcross.org
Tue Apr 17 14:19:32 MDT 2012

This question probably pertains to all Triumphs with Overdrive units.
I recently replaced the Clutch in my  79 Spitfire with an AP 3 piece kit.
While I had the tranny and O/D out, I replaced the tranny oil with 90w GL1
Ford Tractor oil.  I was trying to stay away from GL5 oils that would eat the
copper/brass pieces in my J Type O/D unit.
Now that it's all back together it shifts nicely, but the electronic O/D
engages with a delay or not at all.  It disengages sluggishly too.  I tested
the solenoid with a hot wire directly to it and it clicks each time.  I
cleaned up the bullet connectors on the wiring also.

What do you think is causing the lag to engage the OD?  Wrong oil? Gremlins?

Thanks,
Mike Mack  Rochester, NY
79 Spitfire
80 TR8 DHC FI