[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 169

Carl Sereda carlsereda at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 12:29:21 MDT 2012

Hi Tim,
It's just a short steel pin that has friction fit but may need to be 'staked
in' (edges of hole pinged with nail punch) after pin inserted.. One time, my
unstaked pin (diagnosed later) dropped out on me at a stop light allowing the
planet gear cross shaft to slip out locking up my differential - the only time
this car was ever towed home. Seems to me a good quality nail (about 1/8th
diameter), drill shaft, or steel rod, etc.  cut to fit, would do the job, and
'staked in' if this pin goes into place without enough of a friction fit.
First step as Randall mentioned though - call TRF!
Good luck,
Carl

'63 TR4 since '74

My '64 TR4 is in the shop, most everything done on the differential except
for
one part, which they guy has not been able to find, which he calls it a
"locating pin" that more or less holds everything together. He had talked
with
Moss Motors, and they said it would have to come from the UK, but nothing has
materialized. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim Purdy