[TR] TR4A - Driving w/Overdrive

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Sep 21 06:11:52 MDT 2011

In a message dated 9/20/2011 8:07:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
guy at genfiniti.com writes:
> When is it appropriate to engage/disengage the OD?  Is there some
> recommended
> "sweet spot" for engaging/disengaging?
> Can you shift gears up and down with the OD engaged?  Or do you need to
> disengage the OD before changing gears?

If you ask 10 list members you will get 12 opinions on how and when to use
the overdrive.  Here's mine:

Use it as if it were another gear (which is what it is).  If you are
loafing along and want to upshift, hit the overdrive.  The O/D is really nice in
traffic where you are speeding up and slowing down.  20 to 50 MPH is easily
accommodated with 3rd and 3rd O/D.  No clutching required.  3rd O/D is
especially nice when entering a highway.  3rd will get you up to 50 and the switch
to O/D will run you on up to 70 where it is safe to merge into traffic.

You have the A-type which has an accumulator which makes the shift into O/D
a bit sudden.  I like to dip the clutch pedal a bit when hitting the switch
to lessen the impact on the drive train.  Others rather like the "kick in
the a$$" feel when engaging the overdrive.  My TR6 has the J-type and doesn't
have that issue.  I engage it whenever I feel like it whether it is high
revs, low revs, full throttle or no throttle or anywhere in-between.

Play with it and see what you like.  You will really have to work at it to
break it.

Dave