[TR] TR4A - Driving w/Overdrive

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 19:38:23 MDT 2011

Driving styles will vary a lot, of course.  For "normal" driving, I leave
the OD off until I've reached cruising speed, then engage it.

But there is no hard and fast rule; you can shift with the OD switch on if
you like.  I do occasionally forget to switch it off, and take off from a
stop with the switch on.  In that case, first gear is non-OD (due to the
lockout switch).  And if I shift fairly quickly into 2nd gear, it may not
have built enough pressure to engage the OD and so I'll get 2nd-direct for a
short time, followed by it shifting into 2nd OD on its own.  But generally
it will have enough pressure stored, and so it will just shift smoothly into
2nd OD.

When I'm in a hurry, though, I use 2nd OD as well.

-- Randall