[TR] Seat Belts

Hdefer tr3 at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 8 17:33:11 MDT 2011

I am 6'- 2" + and had been through this 2- or 3 - point seatbelt
dilemma too, until a physical therapist friend convinced me to  change
my lap belts to a 3 point set. His  point was that he much rather have
his neck and/or shoulder tweaked than being slammed into that TR3
steering hub. One theory presented by someone else was , that the
typical reaction ,when anticipating a head collision, would be to push
hard on the brakes with the right foot, thus somewhat twisting your
body counter clockwise and dropping the left shoulder which would
minimize injury; true or not, the 3-point, though not ideal, is  still
far safer than the 2-point option. Clearly,  the best way is a
properly engineered roll bar with the higher attachment, or better
yet, a 4-point racing harness.
To obtain the highest possible point with the retractor the farthest
away from my shoulder, and thus minimizing the pull-down force vector,
I bolted the  retractors on top of the wheel housing under fender top;
i.e. they are bolted between the "rear seat" panel and the trunk back
panel each side of  the fuel tank. I found that there was enough of a
gap between the wheel housing top and the "rear seat" panel for the
belt to slide through easily. If you are interested, I 'll gladly
post some pics of the  details.

Hans