[TR] TR4A - Need to replace the water pump

Darrell Walker darrellw360 at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 07:20:38 MDT 2011

Hi Guy,

I don't have any objective evidence, but when I rebuild my engine about 10 years ago, I installed a 6-vaned pump.  Before that I never had overheating problems, including when I lived in Bakersfield and 100s were the norm.  After the rebuild, the car always seemed on the edge of overheating.  Of course, tons of other stuff was also changed, so I can't really say it was the pump or not.

Last year when I installed my super charger, I changed the pump as the kit came with a new one (standard 4-vaned).  I also installed an aluminum radiator, though I don't believe my old radiator had any problems.  Since then, the temps are back to "normal".

I do like that the new pumps, at least the one I got from Moss, now have a larger nut to hold the pulley, rather than the silly 1/4" thing.  I assume an alloy pump is mostly for weigh savings, and probably won't make a noticeable difference.  They do also make alloy pulleys (though maybe only for narrow belts), that might have a little more effect, since saving weight on the spinning parts is a better payback.

-Darrell

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L