[TR] Fwd: 1972 Triumph TR6 Temp - UPDATE

William Pugh anabil007 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 11:03:24 MST 2011

Begin forwarded message:

> From: William Pugh <anabil007 at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [TR] 1972 Triumph TR6 Temp - UPDATE
> Date: November 16, 2011 9:03:41 AM PST
> To: thenicholls at verizon.net
> Cc: triumphs at autox.team.net
>
> I have had very good luck with NOS type instruments from these guys"
>

> 	http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/classic.htm
>
> I got an Oil Pressure / Temperature  combination for my TR3 ... the quality
was outstanding.  I would think the same might work for you.
> I also invested $40.00 for a laser temperature reader (you just point a pull
the trigger and it tells you the temperature at any given point)
> Also kind of neat for measuring temps on lots of stuff, including my Cat
>

> On Nov 16, 2011, at 7:08 AM, thenicholls at verizon.net wrote:
>
>> List,
>>
>> Just an update, I got a temp gauge from a friend of mine.  Went out and ran
72 TR6 until temp moved and oil pressure came down.

>> Tested temp with the gauge along the engine on the side where the exhaust
is.  I got readings of 187-192 degrees which seems right to me.

>> So, now I am down to either the sending unit is bad, or just the gauge is
reading low.  I heard from a lister who lives near me that he has the same
situation and is just not worrying about it.

>> My issue is that I ordered a new sending unit from TRF GTR110 4/2009 and
attempted to install it, it did not fit.  Since it is the only one listed by
the big three, I could not figure out why it would be wrong, so I pulled the
existing one, cleaned it up, and put it back in.

>> I know it is not the voltage stabilizer because I put gas in it over the
weekend and it is reading correctly.

>> At this point, I am going to get the TRF sending unit and stop by a local
British car shop for some free advice.