[TR] Oil light

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 3 08:57:36 MDT 2011

>  Ronnie, I'd hook up an oil pressure gauge at least
> temporarily,

Ditto.

As noted, could be any of worn bearings, worn oil pump, or just a bad
sender.

After a similar experience years ago (on a non-LBC), I keep an aftermarket
mechanical gauge just to double-check what the dash gauge (or idiot light)
is telling me.  In my case, the sender was the only problem, even after a
professional shop had pronounced the engine worn out (and not worth
rebuilding).  Of course I didn't discover that until after I had dropped the
pan (which involved removing part of the frame & front suspension on that
car) and found that both the oil pump & bearings were fine.  Even fixing the
loose oil pickup didn't help the symptoms.

Also taught me to not necessarily believe what a "professional" tells me.
Had I followed his advice, I would have scrapped a perfectly usable car
(which went on to cover another 150,000 miles without ever having the pan
off again).

-- Randall