[TR] Originality issues

John Herrera jrherrera90 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:00:05 MDT 2011

To each his own, hey?

Darrell

Absolutely, Darrell. Dont get me wrong. Competitive showing isn't my thing,
but I'm not knocking it. Just trying to understand the appeal of competing in
it. I do not want my car to be judged or even shown in Participant's Choice.
When we made the registration form for TRA 2009, I wanted a third category;
Display Only.

Like Terianne, I envisioned myself blasting down a country road in my TR3,
braking hard, heel-and-toe, double-clutch, downshift, turn in, nail the apex,
and accelerate out in a classic four-wheel drift. I didn't know there was such
a thing as competitive car-showing. Well, actually I did. I got started on
sports cars by reading Road & Track when I was 11 years old. They printed an
article about all the sports car competitions; autocross, rally, road racing,
etc. A paragraph at the end was about concours d'elegance. I thought, "No one
really does this do they?"

Years later I found out they do!

To get back on topic, I prefer the original cars, except for racing mods. Even
then, my TR3 racecar was pretty stock. I tried to make it like it would be
raced when new, except for required safety mods.  The Blue TR3 is very
original; never been restored. The Spax shocks are the only thing I can think
of as changed.

I'm like Bill Dentinger, "The more of that stuff you change, the less of a
Triumph it is."

John H.