[TR] TR2 wiper motor refurb Part 1

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 06:15:33 MDT 2011

Finshed the refurb last night.   Thanks for the input on greases.

I ended up cracking open a new tin of synthetic wheel bearing grease
and using that.

Teardown was interesting.

Things were pretty messy and really caked up with hard white-yellow
grease. Hard dark brown grease caked around the cable slider part.

I didn't know how it went together so I wasn't about to pry on the
gears. - I did not know if they were plastic or metal - they are metal
(at least this one is.)

Under more gunk and the remains of a mouse nest - I found a little
metal door on the bottom and removed teh access screw.

Two shafts for the gears were there.   One secured with a circlip and
one not.   The straight cut gear did not have the circlip.   I used an
automatic center punch on the center of the shaft to gingerly pop that
gear out.

I found out later that the spiral gear did not need to be disassembled
to remove - but I still think it was a good idea as in my case things
were pretty jammed up.   I removed the circlip and washers and saw
what I thought was an open ball bearing - it's actually needle
bearings. Dabbed a bit of grease on the washer and stuck it back on -
grease holding the washer in place and the roller bearings.

I figured - I better rotate the motor while extracting the bevel and
used some needle nose to rotate the motor after each tap with the
center punch.  In hindsight - I should have just removed the back
casing from the motor and separated teh motor from the gear box by
rotating the motor out of the gear. (that's how I reassembled it)

Any way - the gear was successfully removed without damage to either
gear. There are two needle bearing sets on that shaft - one came out
with the shaft and the other remained firmly in the case - which is
why having the circlip off was a good idea for me.