[TR] Dash Grounding Question

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 14:49:47 MDT 2011

I completely rewired my TR3A this past winter. I constructed a common ground
point on the facia and on the speedo and tach, respectively. I then
connected each of the three points with ground wires, each spliced with
spade connectors, for ease of disassembly, and then to a serious ground
point in the engine bay on the sheet metal next to the battery. This point
is connected directly to the battery by a heavy cable. AWG 14 can handle a
400-W load within the chassis, and is adequate for this job. The inter-facia
wiring can be 16 gauge, or even 18 gauge. Use the spade-connector trick on
the hot leads as well for easy servicing. I use relays (5) for all of my
heavier loads, to avoid any large currents in the cockpit area.

Rick in Seattle

1960 Triumph TR3A

1970 BSA 441 Victor Special

1972 Norton 750 Commando Combat