[TR] Dash Grounding Question

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Sat Jul 9 11:49:47 MDT 2011

As I install the dash on my TR3 project, I'd like to 'reinforce' the
grounding of all electrics behind the dash.   As some of you may remember,
the body of my car has been powder coated as has the dash fascia.  I am
grinding down to metal as necessary for grounding but in some cases I am
concerned how good that connection will be.

1) I have a battery cutoff switch mounted on a plate behind the hydraulic
'section' of the firewall.  It connects the ground strap from the battery to
the ground bolt on the starter as well as to the body.  There is no direct
connection between the battery and the body.
2) I am thinking about running a ground 'circuit' from the switch (or one of
the other connections) to each of the instruments and electrical connections
(probably in series).   These include:
  a) overdrive switch/overdrive
  b) heater switch/heater
  c) panel lights in speedo/tach
  d) dash center console (to the grounding screw that everything else
connects with)
  e) and/or directly to the gauges
  f) lighter/accessory plugs.
  g) (not installed) provision for a radio

What gauge wire should I use?  Most grounds appear to be 14g.  Should I
increase the size?
Some of the switches are grounded by their direct contact with the fascia.
What alternatives might there be for attaching a grounding strap?

As always - all suggestions, comments, or helpful hints are appreciated.

Carl
1961 TR3A TS81802LO
Tampa, Florida