[TR] TR6 Seat Rebuild

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 9 15:11:34 MST 2011

On Sunday, January 09, 2011 03:09:54 pm rcateb at comcast.net wrote:
> I am 3 days into restoring my 75 TR6 seats with new foam padding.
>
> I brought the foam padding set about 3 years ago and it was not a cheap
> date than
>
> having cost around $300.  Trying to keep costs at minimun I reused the
> original seat
>
> covers which has been a mistake as the aged bottom covers ripped when
>
> stretched back on and over the seat frame.  The bottom seat covers glue
> into and onto the
>
> foam so once on they will come off but your foam padding will be destroyed.
>
> If you are doing this project I would recommend you also invest in new seat
>
> covers for the additional $300-$400.  Or replace with Miatta seats which
>
> would probably be about half the cost of the TR foam pad set and covers.

I rebuilt my 72 seats using the existing foam but I added extra foam  on the
sides, back and seat bottom + jute webbing on the seat bottoms in addition to
the rubber bladder. I also added a layer of dacron over all the side foam. I
got that idea from my dad who was a skilled upholsterer.

I see from the 6 pack forum that the guys who added the miatta seats are very
happy with the results. I guess the cost would depend on their availability at
your local junk yard. I am not sure what the miatta hardware costs but I do
believe it is available from Uncle Jack's son.

I wanted originality as best I could with the 72 restoration so I opted to
rebuild.

Since I added the extra foam, webbing and dacron, the seats are very
comfortable and give lots of support.

The original covers were faded, dirty so I opted for new ones from a firm in
England.

Bob