[TR] TR3 Backup Light

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 15 12:19:38 MST 2011

> I did not know that there was a backup light option for the TR3.  Was
> this a
> dealer installed item?  Shouldn't there be a provision in the body and
> wiring harness for this?

A dealer probably could order the kit and install it, but I'm guessing that
in most cases it was factory-installed.  The kit included the harness, and
either the factory or the dealer would have been responsible for installing
the harness and adding any required holes (just like mounting a radio
antenna).

> I have a spare transmission top for an O/D unit, can one of these
> switches
> be used as my car in non-O/D?

The OD switch locations are different, they sense 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear.
However, the early covers were drilled for the reverse lamp switch and a
brass plug installed, even on cars without OD or the lamp.  If you have one
of those, it would be easy to add the reverse switch to the cover.

Drilling and tapping the cover for the switch is not particularly difficult,
but you will have to remove the cover from the car and disassemble it, then
make some fairly careful measurements before drilling.  The tap is an
unusual size as well, not included in most sets.  I found one at a local
tool store for under $20 (but that was quite a few years ago).  I think
there was a TSB with the information on how to measure, drill & tap.

-- Randall