[TR] Alternator, Charging and Ammeter

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 00:22:55 MDT 2011

On 8/24/11 9:39 PM, Randall wrote:
>>    The ammeter does not show anything (charge or
>> discharge) even before we added the wire,
>>
> Something wrong there; it should show a slight discharge while the red light
> is on; or a heavy discharge if you turn on the headlights with the engine
> not running.  Sounds like there is some wiring problem.

I have discovered in the past that you can not always rely upon a metal
bodied alternator bolted to a metal bracket bolted to the engine to be a
reliable ground path for an alternator.  The alternator would test good
in the shop, mounted it and it seemed to work well for a few miles then
stop charging with the red light not on or maybe the dimmest of glows.
I went through  half a dozen alternators, replaced all the associated
wiring all to no avail.  Finally I ran a wire from the Ground lug on the
back of the alternator and the frame and gosh gee everything worked and
still does to this day.

Who would have thought a metal to metal to metal connection would not be
a reliable ground?  I always wondered why they put a ground lug on
alternator cases.  Anyway, if you know you have your wiring correct, add
a ground wire directly to the alternator case and see what happens.

Teriann