[TR] Alternator, Charging and Ammeter

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 24 22:39:58 MDT 2011

>   The ammeter does not show anything (charge or
> discharge) even before we added the wire,

Something wrong there; it should show a slight discharge while the red light
is on; or a heavy discharge if you turn on the headlights with the engine
not running.  Sounds like there is some wiring problem.

> Any suggestions on what to check on why the battery is not
> getting charged, even though the alternator is capable of doing it?

I would start by running the engine at a fast idle, and checking the voltage
along the charging circuit.  Start right at the alternator (output post to
case), so you know what it is putting out.  Then check between the
alternator case & battery ground terminal; then between the alternator
output and battery hot terminal.  You should see only a few tenths of a volt
difference.  Whichever lead shows a large difference contains the problem.

Beyond that will depend on which car you have, and what changes were made
(if any) when adding the cutoff switch.  A racing-type cutoff switch has
provisions to disable the alternator (so the engine will stop running if the
switch is turned off).

-- Randall