[TR] Oil Filter Adapter - Pot. Problem?

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 16:18:07 MDT 2011

>I had a similar problem with mine. I made my own adapter and found that the
>first time I tried to remove the filter the entire adapter spun because the
>spin-on filter gasket stuck to the adapter the same as it does on a "normal"
car. When the adapter spun, so did the adapter bolt.

Just curious and so a general question.  I'd always believed that when installing a fresh filter cartridge, one used some of the old oil to lubricate the rubber o-ring sealer, then tightening just one full turn, maybe turn and a half.  Might not doing this account for the behavior we've seen posted?  Dunno, just asking....

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire