[TR] Oil Filter Adapter - Pot. Problem?

Triumph tr3abobm77 at frontier.com
Wed Aug 24 15:55:24 MDT 2011

Subject: Re: [TR] Oil Filter Adapter - Pot. Problem?

I had a similar problem with mine. I made my own adapter and found that the
first time I tried to remove the filter the entire adapter spun because the
spin-on filter gasket stuck to the adapter the same as it does on a "normal"
car. When the adapter spun, so did the adapter bolt. I solved mine by
drilling and tapping a hole on the inside of the adapter facing the filter
head and putting a short bolt there that would butt up against a depression
inside the filter head thus preventing it from turning. I didn't tap the
hole all the way so the bolt would go in part way and then attempt to cut
its own threads as I tightened it and thus be self locking, I hope. So far
it has been that way about 3 years.

Bob Maassel
59 TR3A