[TR] My results with the Christian Marx rear engine seal

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 08:07:55 MDT 2011

I'm happy to say that I'm a believer in the seal.

1.  Getting the parts was easy - got the parts and alignment tool from Joe
Alexander and paid with Paypal.  I understand the Roadster Factory also
sources them. I called joe a few times with questions and he was happy to
work with me.
2.  Centering the clamshell scroll seal  was straight forward.  I got the
machined clamshell scroll seal from Joe - nicely done - but since it is not
the one that came off the engine some modification to the mounting holes was
required to center the clamshell properly.   I would not attempt install
with out a centering tool.  If I had my original clamshell machined locally
- which is an option - the mods necessary to center the clamshelll would
have been zero or minimal (my original clamshell had a few severely modified
out holes on it).
3. I needed to shorten the bolts that attach the flywheel - the ends
protruded and would have contacted the seal.  I was very careful not to heat
up these bolts while grinding them shorter - my method - hold them with my
gloves - when they were too hot to hold - switch to another bolt continue
until finished.
4.  Scary part - Assembly and getting everything to line up -  I was worried
that the seal would rotate as things were bolted up. I'm not sure this was
wise but I cut my notch a bit wider than shown in Christian's write up
http://www.tr4-racing.de/download/splitseal.pdf.  I marked alignment points
with a silver and black sharpie.  It did move during assembly but on my
second attempt the marks on the lip seal were pretty close to the marks on
the clamshell.  With the slightly wider notch I felt comfortable.

After 600 miles - I can't say the seal is leaking at all -  I have 2 quarter
sized drops under my car after sitting for 2 weeks after a 70 mph 3 hour
run.   one was directly under the vent tube on the side of the engine and
the other was dripping off the oil pan centerd under the rear of the engine
- might be I need to tighten up the oil pan gasket.  Joe paraphased Kas and
said the engine will find someplace to leak oil - wipe it down with thinner
and see where it's coming from.

Whhat a huge improvement!   I was so tired of piles of cat litter and
cardboard.  Tired of adding a quart of oil everytime I drove it.  So tired
of parking down the block so I don't pour an oil trail down my friends
driveways.

I'll send another update  at 1500 miles.

Chris
1963 TR4