[TR] Head gasket Q

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 11:30:57 MDT 2011

> I was wondering on the re-build if it is
> better to locate a NOS copper composite head gasket off e-bay

I would be leery of a gasket from ebay.  Even assuming it really is what the
seller claims it is, it's still old and oxidized.  And I see things being
sold all the time that are not what they are claimed to be.  (Eg, last night
I saw a TR2-3 starter advertised for TR4-4A.)

As Geo said, my suggestion would be a new Payen gasket.

> I am still running 93mm pistons +20thou

I assume you mean 83mm.  Shouldn't be a problem, even if you get a "86mm"
gasket.  The 1.5m gap between the edge of the gasket and the cylinder bore
will quickly fill with deposits.

-- Randall