[TR] TR3A Brake light switch

Q hdrider570 at att.net
Mon Sep 27 08:58:42 MDT 2010

I have had the brake light switch failure problem on my 1961 TR4 as well.  I have replaced it 3 or 4 times now.  I recently switched to LED taillights so I am hoping that this will work better.

The switch's that I have been using come from Napa Auto Parts.   They seem to last about two years.  They are not expensive and I can change one out in a few minutes so no big deal there.  I have a 90 degree fitting between the switch and the junction block to keep the switch away from the exhaust, as such the switch is facing up so it is an easy swap out.

I had assumed that it was the amperage causing the failure but I use silicon brake fluid so perhaps Randal is correct in saying that is what makes them fail.

Edward Hamer
Petaluma CA