[TR] cam bearing set screws

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 8 15:27:49 MDT 2010

> The problem is that for all 3 bearings the cam bearing slightly
> covers the set screw holes such that I have a crescent moon shaped
> blockage.  So what do I do now?

I would first check that they are off-center enough to keep the pin from
going through the hole.  If so, take it back to the machine shop, ask them
to do it right.  It is something of a trial-and-error process, and it's
absolutely essential that the pin fit into the hole.

While I have resorted to drilling through a wrongly-installed insert, it was
in a situation where I had nothing to lose if it didn't work.  This is not
the kind of shortcut to be taking with a freshly rebuilt engine (or even one
you don't plan to replace soon).

-- Randall