[TR] 6 cyl Camshaft Poll, flywheel advice

aribert at c3net.net aribert at c3net.net
Mon Oct 25 14:55:44 MDT 2010

I have a 2.5L in my Spit bodied GT6 that is a street only vehicle.  Engine
built up as follows:  Head milled 0.135 & port matching & mild porting
about the valve guide bosses, "S2" cam grind from BPNW, triple Weber
DCOEs, 6 into 1 headers and an Aluminum flywheel from PAECO (say NO!, NO!,
NO! to PAECO!). At about 65K miles the head gasket burned thru and once I
had the head off and checked the cam, I found out that several of the cam
lobes were wiped out. As part of the head gasket replacement: Now the head
has 0.140+ removed, head studs instead of bolts, GoodParts bronze valve
guides & Teflon seals (for the valve stems) and a GP2 cam.  Subjectively,
the S2 (before the lobes were wiped out)and the GP2 have a very similar
performance.  I now make sure that I run oil with a high ZDDP content.
About 20K miles on the repaired motor.

If money is a consideration, I would suggest that you consider using a GT6
flywheel instead of an aluminum one.  I saw the slug of metal that the
2.5L flywheel is and assumed the GT6 one was the same.  AFTER all my
troubles with the PAECO flywheel, I discovered that the 2.0L flywheel is
substantially lighter.  In round numbers: 30 lbs TR6 flywheel, 18 lbs GT6
and my "street" aluminum "TR6" one comes in at 12 lbs. I bought my
flywheel about the time that Al Gore invented the Internet and IO did not
do a search on PAECO - now there are adequate reports of their products /
service.  My flywheel has a spray-braised ceramic (?) surface for the
friction surface.  I get to replace clutch discs every 15K miles.