[TR] New Alternator for TR4A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 20 19:21:12 MDT 2010

> Is this normal behavior for an alternator?

No.

> Why
> doesn't the meter always show plus or at least zero?

Something is wrong; an intermittent connection at some point.  I would start
by double-checking belt tightness, then the grounds between the alternator,
mount, engine, body and battery.  It might even be worth temporarily running
a heavy gauge cable between the engine (eg a manifold bolt) and the bolt
that attaches the battery ground to the body.

Keep in mind that paint does not conduct, a good connection requires
metal-to-metal contact.  One way to achieve that without having to scrape
off that expensive paint is to use "star" lockwashers at every electrical
connection.  The points of the lockwasher will usually dig through the paint
to find bare metal.

I'm assuming that the "ignition" warning light on the dash has been
connected properly and appears to work, ie comes on with the key and goes
off when the engine starts.

-- Randall