[TR] New Alternator for TR4A

P Caffrey pcaffrey at ymail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:36:36 MDT 2010

List,
I had an alternator installed as part of my restoration.  It appears to
be
working fine, but I can't figure out the logic of the Amp gauge/meter.
For
example, when I started the car today the Amp meter showed a bit negative
from
zero.  I turned the headlights on and the meter went to around -10;
then,
stepped on the brakes and hit the blinkers, and it went to almost -20.
After
about 5 minutes of idling, the meter jumped to about +20.  It then
remained in
the positive at about +10.  Is this normal behavior for an
alternator?  Why
doesn't the meter always show plus or at least zero?
Thanks
for any feedback.
Pat
TR4A '67