[TR] 6 cyl Camshaft Poll

Raymond Hatfield iron_horse819 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 06:48:39 MDT 2010

I recently asked for experiences and opinions on 6 cyl camshafts on the 6-Pack list and didn't receive as many responses as I had hoped for, so I thought I would address this list with the same question. For those people who are on both lists, I apologize and ask that you just skip over this email.

I am in the process of laying out the rebuild of my 2.5L 6-cyl and am trying to decide which cam would be best for my use. I know this is a grey area for many people and opinion is easier than fact, but I think the members of this list are probably the best resource available to help me decide.

This is going to be for a street car, not a track runner. I live in an area with lots of hills and winding roads, which I prefer over highway running.

Here's what I have decided so far:
I have the late model engine & head which will be balanced and blueprinted with the head ported and CR raised to 9.5:1 or 10:1, and an aluminum flywheel and fan eliminator added; I plan on the 1.65:1 roller rocker setup; I'll be adding EFI (haven't decided on a system yet, but leaning towards MPI over TBI) & an EDIS system; 6-3-1 headers w/ free-flow exhaust system. I already have an A-Type overdrive for those times I will be cruising on the freeway.

My early favorites are the TR5 profile, Richard Good's GP2 or TSI's S-2. The 6-Pack list query has brought another cam into consideration: Isky Z-19. If you have another cam you're really happy with, please suggest it, or give me your experiences with the above.  I will report the results (and my decision) once I have received all responses.

Thanks in advance,
Raymond L. Hatfield