[TR] TR6 Ignition Switch Questions

Acekraut11 acekraut11 at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 11:45:36 MDT 2010

 Bill,

The steering shaft has a cut-out where the locking mechanism slides into to
stop the steering wheel from being turned when the key is out of the ignition.
It sounds as though your last adjustment might have pinned the locking tab to
the side of this void.  Of course a similar thing happens each time you park
the car and turn the wheel a little bit, which is then remedied by turning the
wheel enough to release the pressure, thus allowing the tab to slip out of the
hole and then you can turn the key.  You might be able to get the tab to drop
out by turning the wheel in the locked position left and right while trying to
turn the key.  If this doesnt work then you will most likely have to return
the steering column back to its previous position.  You can then straighten
the wheel if it is slightly off by removing the steering wheel and placing it
on again straight.  Should be a pretty easy fix either way, except, of course
that you need a pretty big socket to get that steering wheel nut off.

Aaron