[TR] [6pack] TR6 Still has an Issue

Lee Daniels lee at automate-it.com
Wed Oct 13 21:34:32 MDT 2010

> Now I have the last issue to deal with.  Every now and then the right  rear
> will make a very bad noise when taking up the drive in reverse or around
> corners.  This is more than a clunk.

I've battled a similar noise. The diff mounts are all good, I have new wheel
bearings, the u-joints are all tight. Now I'm left with *maybe* a little too
much play in the diff, but I think the real problem is the splines on the
axles. I had a set on another car that had very little play, but on this car
(and on the spare set of axles I have) I can grab either side of the splined
joint and get a fair amount of play. There doesn't seem to be an easy fix
short of replacing the axles. GoodParts has a very nice replacement set of
axles - you can get either original style (but heavy duty) or go with CV
joints, but the set will run ~$1500 or more. What I'd *really* like is to just
go whole hog with his Nissan limited-slip, but this requires another >$1000.

If you've ever had your splined axles bind up under torque, then release, you
know what fun it is!

 - Lee