[TR] TR3 Headlamp Upgrade

Bob Wanderer rawanderer at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 08:29:33 MDT 2010

An assembled wiring harness with relays is obtainable from Advanced Autowire (as of a year or so ago, it was $75 ppd), Moss (well over $100, then add s&h, and it is just parts so assembly is required), and Victoria British (believe already assembled for $25 plus s&h).  I have the Advanced Autowire version and am very happy with it.  Your headlamp switch(es) only activate the relays so there is a maximum of only 500 milliamps through the switch(es) instead of the full current drawn by the headlamps.  The wires to the headlamps on the AAW model are thicker than stock, further reducing the voltage drop (current x resistance) through them.  I assume Moss and VB also have heavier gauge wires from the relays to the heamlamp connectors.

If you want to stick with sealed beam incandescents, fine; but I would recommend halogens.  Moss sells Hella halogens (separate bulb), which I have and like.  If I was doing it over again, however, I probably would go with sealed beam halogens such as the Sylvania Silverstars.  They have a 7" round version (H6024 if memory serves).  I think one runs about $20 at Pep Boys.

Additionally, make sure your grounds are good, and clean or replace the headlamp switch(es).

BobW
1974 TR6