[TR] TR3 Headlamp Upgrade

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 09:37:26 MDT 2010

> If I was doing it
> over again, however, I probably would go with sealed beam
> halogens such as the Sylvania Silverstars.

FWIW, I've tried the Silverstars and was very disappointed with them.  They
are better than tungstens, but not by much IMO, and they seem to burn out
much quicker.  The H4s are worth the money, if you want to actually see
where you are going.

This photo doesn't really do them justice, but perhaps you can get some idea
of the advantage of quality H4 bulbs.  (The cheap ones from flea-bay were
also a disappointment.)  This was my 71 Stag, with standard tungsten bulb on
the right and a new Cibie/Valeo lamp on the left, using a standard 55/60 H4
bulb.  Wiring was totally stock, the engine was not running.
http://tinyurl.com/2bm5hxg

The part I couldn't really capture is how much whiter and brighter the H4
looks to the eye, but hopefully you can see how much bigger the "hot spot"
is, and how more of it is deflected down onto the road.  The beam pattern
also 'kicks up' to the right, to better light signs and pedestrians along
the side of the road, without blinding other drivers on the road.

Randall