[TR] TR3 Headlamp Upgrade

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed Oct 13 07:32:51 MDT 2010

Bill - Before you start replacing sealed beam bulbs, make sure that there is
a good ground connection on each headlight. From the ground terminal of the
bulb to the grounded side of the battery, there should be no more than
around 0.2 volts difference when the lights are on.. If there is, then check
out the integrity of the headlamp ground circuit. Depending on where the
battery ground terminal is connected, there may be a bad body-to-engine
ground connection. Conversely, check out the voltage drop along the battery
insulated circuit. From the battery insulated terminal to the feed terminal
of each sealed beam bulb, there should only be a few tenths of a volt drop
when the headlamps are on. Check both low and high beams on each bulb.
Possible areas causing a voltage drop include the fuse box, light switch,
and all other connections. Another method is to turn the lights on, and then
provide an auxiliary feed wire from the battery to each lamp feed terminal -
if they brighten up, the insulated circuit is weak. Do the same with the
ground circuit. Make sure that your auxiliary ground wire goes directly to
the battery. Brighter lights means a weak ground circuit. I would start with
testing the existing feed and ground systems. If they are weak, fancier and
higher wattage bulbs may cause even more voltage drop due the extra amperage
draw.

Alex Thomson