[TR] master and slave cylinder repair or replace

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 13:36:32 MST 2010

Jermiah - what GREAT thing to inherit and keep in the family, you lucky guy.

On the hydraulics, my priority would be:

1) If no obvious pits, or wear lines that you can catch a nail in, install
new seals.
2) If obvious pits/wear lines, or the news seals don't 'seal', mail part to
Apple Hydraulics or White Post. The repaired part should last longer than
you will. They re-bore it and insert a brass sleeve. Not cheap, but
worthwhile. New seals will then be OK, so $30 not wasted.
3) As a last resort, buy replacement part(s).

In doing all this, consider switching to silicone. Do a search here and make
an informed decision... I switched after a failed seal caused a fair bit of
paint damage. Silicon is benign to paint (relatively speaking; at least it
isn't a paint striper in its spare time, unlike DOT 4).

Brian
Valley Forge, PA