[TR] master and slave cylinder repair or replace

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 15:01:25 MST 2010

> In doing all this, consider switching to silicone. Do a search here and
> make
> an informed decision...

Just to be clear, although I am a BIG believer in DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid
(happy user for some 20 years now); I believe both Apple and White Post
refuse to warranty their work if you use silicone fluid.  It's not common,
but I have heard of at least one case where they clearly (in my opinion) had
not done the work properly, but refused to fix the problem because the end
user was using silicone fluid.

> Silicon is benign to paint (relatively speaking;

It will actually help preserve the paint!  In fact, there are many "wax"
products on the market that include silicone in their formulas.

One disadvantage, though, is that silicone can be very difficult to remove,
and it will interfere with fresh paint (in the form of "fish eyes").  If you
do use DOT 5 fluid then, it becomes mandatory to use a product like PPG
Acryli-Clean before attempting to paint almost anything.

And while I'm repeating common knowledge, note that "synthetic" and "DOT
5.1" brake fluids are NOT silicone and will damage paint (although possibly
not as rapidly as some DOT 3/4 fluids will).

-- Randall