[TR] Cleaning Plexiglas WindWings

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Sun May 16 11:45:33 MDT 2010

 If you have a plastics specialty store in your area, or can buy online...
There are special polishes especially made for plastics, in three grades -
Heavy, medium and light for removal of deep scratches, for finer scratches and
for final finishing/polishing of the surface. Here's a link to Tap Plastics, a
local chain of stores where I've bought the Novus products:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=428&

These are probably about the same stuff that's sold by various restoration
suppliers - such as Moss, Eastwood - for headlights, tailights, etc., either
in kits or separately. But I'd bet it's a lot cheaper from a plastics store...
And the different grades of polish make it faster and easier in most cases.
I've used the medium and fine/finish on helmet face shields, plastic car parts
and a lot of other things. On clear plastics in particular, you might still
see a sort of mild "rainbow" filter effect, more fine polishing might remove
it, or might not... but if not it's still it's a whole lot better than all
scratched up to the point of being unusable.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use most power buffing tools. That will nearly always
melt the plastic and do more damage. There are special low speed buffers, but
most have too high RPM. Even the special low speed ones need to be used very,
very carefully, with a lot of stopping and starting to keep the plastic cool.

While at the plastics store, you also might just consider having a new piece
of Lexan cut to replace what's in your wind wings. There is a type of Lexan
that's got a hardened coating to better resist scratches, too.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
amfoto1 at aol.com
'62 TR4 CT17602L