[TR] Spitfire 1500 brake problems

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun May 16 18:23:27 MDT 2010

On 16 May 2010 at 8:22, Ed Woods wrote:

> When I bought the car it took a long time for the car to stop when
> I pushed on the brakes.

Lots of "interesting" answers.  I wonder if the calipers are just
plain stuck.  Jack up the front of the car, have someone step on the
brakes moderately, and check that the front wheels can't be turned.
The rears should not be doing all the braking anyway, though their
tightness will dictate the apparent pedal firmness.  Note whether the
pedal feels different with the handbrake on.  This can indicate that
the rears aren't tight enough.

You replaced the hoses with braided hoses.  Bet that didn't include
the rigid steel lines.  They aren't too hard to replace.  You should
at least verify that they have no leaks.  If they do you could pump
everything up and then have fluif dribble away.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+