[TR] Strange one This

dave1massey at cs.com dave1massey at cs.com
Thu May 13 15:11:22 MDT 2010

My TR6 has been in storage for 3 years while I did other stuff. Just went to
re-commission it and discovered some really odd damage to some of the wiring.
The damage is in the harness that runs down to the solenoid. There appear to
be 3 or 4 wires in it and one looks to supply the solenoid. Trouble is the
wires have all broken and look really brittle.

So.....  What do all these wires do??? The biggest fat one seems to be the
power to the solenoid and has power when I put a voltmeter on it and the key
is turned to start position. The car is May 1976 and is left-hand drive
having
been purchased in California and repatrioted to the UK in 2005.

 Going from memory here but I recall three wires, the main power for the
starter.  This will have power on it all the time.  Period.  The White/Red (or
White/Orange) wire that powers the solenoid coil and the car will not start
without this one.  A third wire (White and something else) that bypasses the
balast resistor wire to the coil.  The car will start and run without that
third wire although you may get some benefit upon cold starting with this
wire.

Slante

Dave