[TR] Learning to drive a TR

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 28 08:50:51 MST 2010

> Hi Pat; if your niece has been driving for a little while
> already, but on
> an automatic, I think it is going to be very difficult to
> teach her how to
> drive  a manual gearbox correctly.

Perhaps the operative word here is 'niece' ... I learned to drive automatics
since that was all my father, grandfather, and driving school had.  Then my
first car had "3 on the tree" and I had no trouble at all learning to drive
it.  Sure, I killed it a few times, and ground the gears more than once, but
it survived (or at least I don't think my inexpert driving had anything to
do with it's demise).

OTOH, I definitely let the wife practice on a friend's old Miata ... she
still hasn't driven my TR.

Randall