[TR] Learning to drive a TR

Rich White rlwhitetr3b at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 07:44:13 MST 2010

Tim Dyer said:

If your niece has been driving for a little while already, but on
an automatic, I think it is going to be very difficult to teach her how to
drive a manual gearbox correctly.

Tim,

I do not understand your reasoning.  We when through this a couple of years
ago, teaching my son to drive my daily driver Miata.  My wife and I decided we
wanted him to have some experience driving before we added shifting gears etc.
There were some ups and downs and I think I will do a better job with his
sister next year.

The one suggestion I would have is to find a level paved area and have them
pull away from a stop without using the throttle.  That will teach them where
the sweet spot on the clutch is.

Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF587L
That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car!