[TR] License plates, how much, and body shops in SF

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Fri Jun 25 16:46:56 MDT 2010

> > And for those who are sure it's illegal,
>
> ..It was 2009 when I specifically asked and was told that the CA DMV
> would recognize only plates that they had supplied...

My experience with the DMV is that the people who work for it don't
know much about the actual rules when you start dealing with non-normal
registration.  I suggest that you keep pushing whichever clerk you have
until you get the answer you want, and if that fails, come back the next
day or go to another DMV and try again with someone new.

Regardless, can't you just bring in the metal plates, get the reg tags,
and then put the fiberglass plates on your car?  Whether it's legal or
not, no cop is going to either notice, or know the law if you just stand
your ground and be convinced.

Oh, and that other (implied) question about how much I'd give up
my Triumph for?  Enough to buy another one in (much) nicer shape.
I'm attached to the one I have, but heck, if it's in much nicer
shape, I'd trade up.

I hope my car didn't hear that.

Btw, my body shop guy in San Francisco has become totally unreliable.
Any suggestions for a good shop to do some work?  Somebody T-boned
me coming out of a parking spot.  Woops!

Dave